Humans have always created social networks and these networks have always been means of marketing products and services. Person to person either face to face or across miles by messenger services, mail and/or by phone and computer people network by all available means and they share their product and services experiences and preferences with their friends.
Word of mouth marketing has always been the best sales tactic and the internet provides another means for those selling products and services to connect with potential customers. Grassroots marketing is tapping into the collective efforts of brand enthusiasts and it’s rife in social networks where visual media predominates. But when it comes to peer to peer marketing and consumer empowerment research indicates: think twice.
“Many companies have embraced the concept of consumer empowerment. However, they should consider whether attempts to integrate social influence (word-of-mouth marketing, social network marketing, buzz marketing) might backfire with empowered consumers,” the authors conclude.”
WOMMA defines WOMM (Word of Mouth Marketing)
- 5 Ways to Use Customer Testimonials to Get More Word of Mouth Marketing Referrals (dbsquaredinc.wordpress.com)
- Visual Media: The Peanut Butter for the Social Media Marketing Jelly (socialmetricspro.com)
- From SAY Daily: Using Storytelling to Ignite Word-of-Mouth Marketing (everything.typepad.com)
- Earl of Sandwich Chooses Punchh to Accelerate Word of Mouth Marketing (hispanicbusiness.com)
- VIDEO | a Primer on Word of Mouth Marketing (brandautopsy.com)