Did you know that most people who register a blog will quit blogging within a few months time? Their original enthusiasm fades and they abandon their blogs in less than a year. If you are determined to blog over the long-term, it’s critical to focus on creating high quality content on topics you are passionate about. Keeping your blog updated with fresh content will maintain reader interest and stimulate discussion. Increasing traffic will be the natural consequence of visiting other sites and commenting. But it’s always helpful to take a peek at your blog through a visitor’s eyes.
Is your blog looking fresh and lively? Will your theme, colors and customizations appeal to your target audience?
According to Canadian researchers, web users form first impressions of web pages in as little as 50 milliseconds (1/20th of a second). That means visitors to your blog will judge its visual appeal in the blink of an eye, affirming that first impressions are important.
When we visit a blog that’s cluttered and disorganized and find it’s difficult to navigate, we conclude we aren’t likely to find content of value in it. We aren’t likely to linger long or to return to it.
What does your About page communicate to first time visitors about you and your purpose for the blog?
Whatever your style, background, personality, profession or purpose, your About page is a way to introduce yourself, let visitors know what to expect to read in your blog and when it will be published.
If you do intend to create a new blog I recommend you do your homework first. Wherever possible, your new blog’s url, blog title and tagline ought to contain keywords (products and/or services) (topics, concepts, themes) that define your blog’s intended brand. A short tagline can help define who the blog is for and what’s in it for them.
How do I find my way around here?
- Is your blog structured and optimized in a reader and search engine friendly manner?
- Is your blog easy to navigate?
- In blogging content is the draw to your site. Have you created pillar posts (flagship content) that has timeless value and brings back readers again and again?
- Are you organized, publishing regularly and are your readers aware of your posting schedule?
- Do you deep link to your earlier posts in your recent posts and use correct anchor text to do so?
- Do you backlink to posts on the same subjects in related blogs?
- Do you encourage your blog readers to comment?
- Do you reply to all comments?
- Do you promote your posts after publishing them?
- Do you link to related blogs and keep your blogroll or links page updated?
- Do you subscribe to the RSS feeds of related blogs?
- Do you comment on other related blogs?
The best way to introduce your blog to other bloggers and to attract traffic and comments to it is to seek out blogs in the same niche (subject area) as your own blog. Focus on leaving meaningful comments, creating blog centered relationships with fellow bloggers, and encouraging them to read and comment on your posts.