RSS is the acronym for Really Simple Syndication and it’s basically a computer-readable summary of the content of a web page/blog. From the blogger’s point of view RSS feeds make it possible to maximize exposure of your blog’s content beyond a few visitors browsing your blog. From the reader’s point of view subscribing to an RSS feed it’s a time saving convenience as there is no need to visit the site to stay up-to-date on what’s being discussed.
Subscribing to individual category/tag/label feeds
Instead of subscribing to the posts (entries) feed for an entire blog, being able to subscribe to individual categories is part of WordPress and Blogger software that you may not be aware of.
From the reader’s point of view it can be very handy to subscribe to the RSS feed of a category you are interested in. From the blogger’s point of view letting your readers know they can subscribe to any category or tag makes a lot of sense and may even attract new readers, who have specific interests that don’t extend to every subject you blog about.
Anyone can subscribe to a feed for a specific WordPress Category or Tag on any WordPress blog, and you can also create RSS feeds in Blogger for any search Label. Another way to subscribe to a RSS category feed on a Blogger (blogspot) blog. subscribe when there are many categories and tags is to:
- view that category/tag [click in the appropriate cloud]
- verify this is the type of article you want to subscribe to
- in the browser window add this to the end of the url: feed/
- press enter key and you see the subscribe selections for your browser favorite… hat tip to SBA
This is the format for a category feed on WordPress.com blogs:
This is the format for a “labels” feed on Blogger (blogspot) blogs:
Two ways to subscribe to my category and tag feeds
If you would like to subscribe to one or more of my categories or tags now you know the format for the URLs. Below are two ways you can use them.
(1) If you are a WordPress.com blogger just use the format above for the category URL you want to subscribe to and enter it into your Blogs I Follow http://wordpress.com/#!/read/edit/ Read more.
Category Example 1:
To subscribe to the category “Blogging Tips” use this URL http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/category/blogging-tips/feed/
Tag Example 1:
To subscribe to the tag”Internet Relationships” use this URL
(2) If you aren’t a WordPress.com blogger, or you are but don’t want to use the Blogs I Follow, then simply use the format provided and enter the URL for the category of your choice into the feedreader of your choice for Windows , or the feedreader of your choice for Macs.
Category Example 2:
To subscribe to the category “Blogging Tools” use this URL
Tag Example 2:
To subscribe to the Tag “SEO Tips” use this URL
- Were you aware that you could subscribe to category/tag/label feeds?
- Do you currently subscribe to any category/tag/label feeds?
- Will you be making your readers aware that they can subscribe to your blog’s category/tag/label feeds?