Now that wordpress.com has an in house subscription service you can let people subscribe to your blog by adding the blog subscription widget, and the instructions for setting up email updates through Feedburner have been removed from the wordpress.com support documentation. As I have been receiving requests from those who do wish to use Feedburner I have revived the instructions formerly available and have posted them below.
RSS in Plain English
A short explanation of RSS and how it helps you save time reading the web. This video comes in an unbranded “presentation quality” version that can be licensed for use in the workplace. (If you are not accustomed to using an RSS feedreader you will benefit from watching this video, first.)
Subscribe through Feedburner (Setting up Email updates for your readers)
These instructions result in offering readers the opportunity to obtain email ions result in offering readers the ability to subscribe to your blog by email.
1. Go to FeedBurner www.feedburner.com/fb/a/home
2. Register there.
3. Burn your feed.
Your feed address is your blog name with /feed at the end. Like this – example.wordpress.com/feed
4. Click ‘My Feeds’ at the top of the screen on the left
5. Click the name of your feed
6. Click the Publicize tab
7. Click the ‘Email Subscriptions’ in the left column
8. Choose FeedBurner, FeedBlitz, or Rmail to be your feed-via-email service provider.
9. Click ‘Activate’
10. You’ll be taken to the next page where you’ll need to scroll down to find the ‘Subscription Link Code‘ and copy the code in the box underneath
11. Paste that code into a text widget on your blog
12. Remember to save your options at FeedBurner!
13. That’s all there is to it. You are now offering email subscriptions!
- You cannot redirect your feed to Feedburner.
- Questions about the email service should go to FeedBurner.
- Offering email updates might cause a drop in feed stats if people switche ability to subscribe to your blog by email.
Related posts found in this blog:
How to Become Better Blogger 1