All images ought to be optimized and re-sized prior to uploading them into your blog. When you decrease the file size for images before you insert them into your blog, uploads and pages will load faster, you can fit more images into the same space, and using the correct tools means you will not compromise the quality of the image.
I have previously reviewed and blogged about several free image optimization and resizing programs bloggers can download and use locally. This post is aimed at the programs that are available to us online.
The image I use above is an example: Original Image 962 x 762 -179 KB
Types of Images
- JPG works best for images with gradients such as photographs.
- GIF are best for blocks of repetitive color including logos, line art, and illustrations with type.
- PNG should be used to preserve partial transparency and a large amount of colors. PNG images often take up more space, so try the GIF format first to see if it works well for your image. From: Media Library » Image Optimization
(1) picmonkey – Free picture editor! No registration required. Whether you want to touch up a profile pic, try a new effect, or use the collage maker.
(2) Image Optimizer – Using this online service, you can resize, compress and optimize your image files online for free. It’s fast. Compress images in bulk. You can now download image optimizer on your computer and resize and compress your images with a single click.
(3) iResize.com is a fast and free, simple-to-use online image resizing tool. With the increase of megapixels in today’s newest digital cameras, e-mailing or posting your photos on the web can prove to be quite the task. Luckily, our free web tool allows you to easily reduce the size of your photo by pixels and bytes. There is nothing to download or install. iResize.com is completely web-based and works in all of your favorite web browsers and operating systems.
(4) myImager.com – Online Image Editor – free everything online image editor. Upload or call images from anywhere on the web and edit them freely with the the dozens of tools and filters that we offer! This is a 100% free service, offered by the great people at Cool Archive. There are image file size limits. Files can not be larger than 500 KBytes. Also, all images are deleted daily at 12:00 AM PST due to limited hard drive space. So please save the images to your own computer after you are done.
(5) Online Image Optimizer- GIF, JPG, and PNG
Image Optimizer lets you easily optimize your gifs, animated gifs, jpgs, and pngs, so they load as fast as possible on your site. Furthermore, you can easily convert from one image type to another. Upload Size limit: 300 kB.
(6) Pic Resize – PicResize supports JPEG, GIF, and PNG image format.There are options for resizing: 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% and you can customize any size. Special effects can be applied as well.
(7) Reduce load time by optimizing graphics with GifBot
Reducing image size will reduce download time.
(8) Shrink Pictures – Original images can be up to 6Meg in size means you can use photos direct from your 8 megapixel Digital Camera. Original image can be jpg, gif or png one image at a time. All resized images are automatically converted to jpg.
When you need to resize more than 1 photo at a time use BatchPhoto. This free trial software is capable of not only resizing a batch of photos it can also do several other tasks to your batch of photos as well such as renaming.
(9) Smush.it™ – Smush.it uses optimization techniques specific to image format to remove unnecessary bytes from image files. It is a “lossless” tool, which means it optimizes the images without changing their look or visual quality. After Smush.it runs on a web page it reports how many bytes would be saved by optimizing the page’s images and provides a downloadable zip file with the minimized image files. Yahoo! YSlow Smush.it is included with YSlow and is no longer available as a separate download. Note: Try it out online (*Limit to 5 images).
(10) Web Resizer is a free online image resizer that helps you optimize photos for web or email. Easy to use. Reduce image size; crop photos; sharpen; resize – change width and height; rotate;adjust contrast, brightness, saturation; convert photo to black and white; add a border; no registration required.
Related posts found in this blog:
Images: Optimizing, Pre-sizing and Resizing
WordPress bloggers working with images
Uploading and inserting images in the new wordpress.com
Inserting images full sized in the new wordporess.com
More on inserting images full sized in the new wordpress.com
Image editing and preparation tips Part 1
Image editing and preparation tips Part 2