For some blogging is a passion and for others it’s a way to make income. There are as many reasons to blog as there are bloggers and some include connecting and forming relationships; exploring ideas, concepts and beliefs; sharing expertise; inspiring and persuading; entertaining; sharing experiences; and learning and growing.
It’s not surprising to find that most bloggers do have more than one blog. If you do intend to create a new blog I recommend you do your homework first.
(1) Determine the niche and who your audience will be
Blogging tip – Assess what your knowledge and skill base is in relationship to the niche you are considering, and determine who your audience (readers) will be. Identifying your audience will help you focus on the reader’s needs. The following questions can help you identify your audience and what you can do to address their wants and needs.
- How many kinds of readers do you expect to have? List them.
- What do you know about the writing and reading skills and backgrounds of those people who you expect to become readers?
- What is most important to them?
- What are they least likely to care about?
- What do you want your audience to think, learn, or assume about you?
- What impression do you want your writing or your research to convey?
(2) Will you blog under your given name or a pseudonym?
Blogging tip – If your new blog will be a business blog or a professional blog then you may want to consider blogging under your real name and posting a recent photo. Blogging under your real name allows you to build a name and branding credibility for yourself and your blog in your area of interest.
However, if you are a business or professional blogger that desires the freedom to be more casual or, if you want to develop a tone and persona online that’s different than the normal you, then blogging under a pseudonym will be the better choice to make.
If you are already blogging under a pseudonym then decide whether or not you want to create another one or use the same one. If you are blogging under your real name, then decide whether or not you want to create a pseudonym. The decision you make will be based on whether or not you want your existing blog(s) and your new blog to be associated. See: How to Become a Better Blogger 2: Online Privacy
(3) Assess your competition
Blogging tip – Blogging is competitive so visit the blogs of the top bloggers in any niche that you are interested in entering, assess your competition, and determine what unique and original information you have that you could contribute to the niche.
(4) Determine your purposes and your goals
Blogging tip – Take the time to consider exactly what your purpose is for creating a new blog, ascertain what your key words and tags will be, and develop a blog description prior to founding your new blog.
Here are two examples:
onecoolsitebloggingtips – a growing collection of Tips and Tutorials on How to Become a Better Blogger, How to Build a Better Blog, where to find free Blogging Tools and Resources, and Effective Blog Promotion.
To provide free instructional material and resources to bloggers, who are intent on improving their writing and blogging skills, and making their blogs more reader and search engine friendly (basic SEO).
Categories: Blogging, Blog Resources
Tags: SEO, blogging tips, blogging resources, blogging tools, blogging guides, blogging tutorials
thistimethisspace – a personal development, growth and relationships blog containing posts on alternative medicine, blogging, conscious living, and self improvement.
Blogging Goal: To share information and techniques for transforming and improving life with others also focused on personal development, growth and self improvement.
Categories: Relationships, Development and Growth
Tags: personal development, blogging, Spirituality, alternative medicine, self improvement, conscious living
(5) Consider purchasing your own domain
Blogging tip – Wherever possible, your new blog’s url, blog title and tagline ought to contain keywords (products and/or services) that define your new blog’s intended brand. Also note that choosing to purchase your own domain will provide your blog with greater credibility than blogging on a free hosted subdomain like blogspot or wordpress.com will provide. There are other advantages to purchasing your own domain as well, and inexpensive good web hosting is available.
(6) Create content in advance and plan a launch
Do you want a guaranteed way to launch with a bang? Prepare amazing content before you launch. I am not talking about a quick general post, I want you to take the time of your life to create the most astounding post you have ever come across. – 10 Ways to Launch a New Blog with a ‘Bang’
(7) Register your new blog with search engines
Blogging tip – You will need to add your new blog to your Google web masters account, generate and submit a site map, and register with search engines. But don’t be surprised if it takes weeks for Google to acknowledge your site’s existence because new blogs are usually “in the sandbox“.
Special note for wordpress.com bloggers – this Support Documentation entry provides instructions for getting a Google WebMasters account and registering your blog with the three major search engines.
Note: If you have assigned categories and tags to your posts and used keywords in your post titles, subtitles and in the natural flow of the text they will be picked up by the search spiders. However, getting backlinks is the quickest way to be indexed by search engines.
(8) Promote your blog and your posts
- Write well and publish regularly. Keeping your blog updated with fresh and informative content will maintain reader interest.
- Reply to every comment as this may encourage more comments from the same readers and from others who have yet to comment.
- Be cautious about reciprocal linking and be very selective when choosing related blogs to link to and keep your blogroll updated.
- Be aware of your subscribers and subscribe to the feeds on their related blogs.
- Comment, comment, comment and comment.
- Backlink to posts published by faithful readers wherever possible.
- Create a social media time management strategy and stick to it.
- Use a Recent Comments widget to showcase those readers who leave the most recent comments.
- Use a Frequent Commenters widget to showcase those who leave the most comments.
- Promote and support the promotions of the blogs of your faithful readers at every opportunity that you can, and everywhere that you can.
(9) Traffic builders checklist - consider employing these traffic building strategies
- creating and publishing pillar posts that provide timeless content for readers in your niche
- using anchor text in your recent posts to deep link to your earlier related posts
- learning basic SEO techniques for on page optimization
- joining online groups and forums related to your niche or topic
- commenting similar blogs
- creating and offering free newsletters, ebooks, podcasts and videos for your readers
- guest blogging on blogs with higher PageRank than your own blog has
- inviting guest bloggers to create guest posts you can publish on your blog
- promoting your posts in social networks.