In blogging content is found in posts. Certain subject categories found within posts normally contain certain sub sets of subjects. Every blog has subject categories and tags. And key words and phrases are what other bloggers type into search engines to find content rich posts.
What are Pillar Posts?
Pillar posts are not your average blog post. They are usually longer and more content rich. Pillar posts are comprehensive posts that offer great value to readers as the contents are timeless in nature.
A pillar is blog content, usually an article, which does some very important things:
* It will bring in a rush of new readers and backlinks (other sites linking to your blog).
* It will continue to bring in more readers over time as you and other people refer to it, even though it may be buried in the archives of your blog.
* Eventually it will bring in traffic from search engines (this is largely because so many other web pages link to it).
* You can list it in a separate area (like an articles page) with all your other pillars so your best content can easily be accessed and your value clearly demonstrated.
* It is not time dependent, so in twelve months’ time it will still be relevant and popular.
A good blogging tip from the readability, value and SEO standpoints is to make sure that in the pillar or concept articles that the author includes plenty of links to authoritative and popular external resources. Remember that certain subjects normally contain certain sub sets of subjects. By covering the material comprehensively you give yourself a good pillar post and will rank better in search engines and bring more traffic.
Characteristics of pillar posts
* they are longer posts
* their content is timeless
* their content is original and unique
* they offer a clear value to the reader
* they outline expertise around a specific topic
* they attract links from other bloggers
Pillar Posts Definition and Tips on Adesblog