This post was updated December 2012.
There are so many special occasions in our lives and they are all cause for a countdown to celebration. ~ wedding, shower, anniversary, birthday, weight loss, birthday, holidays, special events, the arrival of a new baby, adoption, vacation, cruise, reunion …
* If you have a wordpress.com theme that provides an “Alert Box” or an “Information Box” on the front page of your blog like Vigilance does, the codes can also be used in these, rather than on a static Page. However, none appear to be sized small enough to fit into a text widgets.
Third Party Providers of Free Countdown Tickers/ Banners
(1) Free countdown tickers/banners that can be used on wordpress.com blogs available at Ult-Tex All Occasion Countdown Banners.
(2) When it comes to choosing from a wide variety of free countdown tickers for any occasion check out the The Ticker Factory.
(3) Caribeanmag.com has a nice array of attractive signature images and the generator set up for you to personalize your own cruise or vacation countdown tickers.
(4) Lilypie baby ticker is a free baby due-date countdown for use on your website or in forum posts. Lilypie also offers a ticker for your child’s birthday, choose your graphics, add some text and the tool will build the code you need to enter into your Web page.
(5) You can get free countdown tickers for weddings, anniversaries and vacations at DaisyPath.
Adding a Countdown Ticker/Banner to a Static Page on a wordpress.com blog
- Dashboard -> Pages > Add New
- Type a title for your special event into the title box. Enter some text to describe what this event is all about and upload some images too, if you wish. Click “Save as a draft“. You have the choice of leaving this tab or window open or returning to this Page and editing it after you have created your ticker/banner and secured the code for it.
- Go to one of the ticker sites and create your countdown ticker and copy the code supplied.
- Dashboard -> Pages > Edit
- Locate the draft Special Event Page in question and click either the Title or Edit.
- Click to switch the visual rich text editor over from Visual to Code.
- Paste in the code and click Publish.
- View your blog. Your countdown ticker ought to begin to operate a few minutes.