I think this Beginner’s Guide will be helpful if you are looking for basic how to’s. I can also recommend a comprehensive tutorial. The Learn WordPress.com tutorial is divided into progressive levels and presented as a series.
In a nutshell promoting your wordpress.com blog will be more effective if you:
- Verify ownership of your blog with the major search engines- WordPress.com makes search engine verification easy; and note the factors that expedite search engine indexing of your content — OMG! I can’t find my blog on Google
- Link your wordpress.com username to your wordpress.com blog;
- Employ basic blog promotion strategies like creating an About page and including a blog description on it;
- Create blog title and tagline that define your brand;
- Focus on content creation – regularly publish high quality, original content posts and build a faithful readership;
- Tag your posts with categories that are specific to the topics in the blog post;
- Invest time and energy into relationship building by leaving meaningful comments on other blogs, in forums and on websites related to your blogging topics;
- Use wordpress.com in house promotion opportunites;
- Join social media sites like Twitter and social networks such as Blinklist, Delicious, Digg, Facebook, Fark, Flickr, Furl, Magnolia, Newsvine, Reddit, Stumbleupon, Technorati, etc. and display sharing icons or buttons below your posts for visitors to use.